About one year ago Progressive Salem took on the challenge of electing three progressive candidates to the Salem City Council. On May 17th we achieved that goal in stunning fashion. Not only did we win three seats, we elected three very fine young progressives who will be able to work effectively with Councilor Tom Andersen to accomplish our vision of a Salem that works for everyone.
What was stunning about our victories was the margin by which we won. Cara Kaser won with 73% of the vote. Sally Cook won with 61% of the vote against an incumbent who outspent her nearly 3 to 1. And Matt Ausec, who got a late start and was up against a candidate with lots of endorsements, nevertheless won with 51% of the vote.
We achieved these victories because of the quality of our candidates and their hard work going door to door in the past several months. Our candidates won because of our Progressive Salem members who volunteered countless hours holding house parties, canvassing, phoning and the countless other tasks of a campaign. We proved our mantra: “People Power Beats Money Power.”
But this is just the beginning. In the coming years we will continue to work to bring more progressive leadership to Salem. Won’t you join us? Please click on “Join” to become a member of Progressive Salem.
Progressive Salem Vision Statement
Who We Are
We are citizens of Salem, united in our commitment to see Salem prosper in ways that benefit all who live and work here.
We value honesty, transparency, inclusiveness and integrity in government.
We value fairness and opportunity for all.
We envision a Salem where progress preserves choices for future generations.
We Are Working For
* Local government that represents the public interest.
* Enhancement of economic opportunities and environmental health.
* Respect and fair treatment for all people.
* A community that works together to promote public health and alleviate poverty.
* Local government that both understands and engages with wider justice, sustainability, and other political issues.
* A transportation network that is safe and accessible to everyone.
* Options to power our homes and businesses with clean and sustainable energy.
* Education that prepares all youth for meaningful lives as participating citizens and that values our cultural diversity.
We pledge to work in the electoral arena toward a Salem united by this vision for our future.