Progressive Salem Endorses Three Candidates for Salem-Keizer School Board
There are nine candidates running for four seats on the Salem-Keizer School District Board in the May 16th District Election. Progressive Salem has endorsed three candidates for three open seats (the fourth has an incumbent who is running unopposed).
In Zone 1, Progressive Salem has endorsed Kathleen Harder, a graduate of public schools and a practicing physician. Kathleen will work to improve graduation rates, close the achievement gap, advocate for early childhood education, and demand that state leaders adequately fund public education.
In Zone 3, Progressive Salem has endorsed Sheronne Blasi. Sheronne is a performance auditor who has spent the last decade recommending ways to improve and hold our K-12 education system accountable. She has an extensive record of civic involvement. She will work for a safe, secure and welcoming learning environment for all students.
In Zone 5, Progressive Salem has endorsed Levi Herrera-Lopez. Levi has worked with low income youth and their families for many years as director of Mano a Mano Family Center. When elected he will become the first Latino member of the School Board and will bring a much needed new perspective to the Board.
All three candidates are progressive Democrats. All three will bring years of experience and dedication and commitment to our school board.. All three have opponents who are conservative Republicans who, if elected, would bring a radical right-wing agenda to our school board. We can’t let that happen. Even though the candidates represent geographic zones in the district, the election is at-large, so you will have the opportunity to vote for all three candidates. This will be a low turnout election, so the candidates who get out the vote will win. We all need to work hard to get out the vote for Kathleen, Sheronne and Levi.
If you are a Progressive Salem member, watch your email for opportunities to canvass and phone bank for Kathleen, Sherrone and Levi.
Progressive Salem Vision Statement
Who We Are
We are citizens of Salem, united in our commitment to see Salem prosper in ways that benefit all who live and work here.
We value honesty, transparency, inclusiveness and integrity in government.
We value fairness and opportunity for all.
We envision a Salem where progress preserves choices for future generations.
We Are Working For
* Local government that represents the public interest.
* Enhancement of economic opportunities and environmental health.
* Respect and fair treatment for all people.
* A community that works together to promote public health and alleviate poverty.
* Local government that both understands and engages with wider justice, sustainability, and other political issues.
* A transportation network that is safe and accessible to everyone.
* Options to power our homes and businesses with clean and sustainable energy.
* Education that prepares all youth for meaningful lives as participating citizens and that values our cultural diversity.
We pledge to work in the electoral arena toward a Salem united by this vision for our future.